Dero's official position on ASICs

Is it possible to see how much hashrate comes from China IP’s ?

No, but I do get to see a lot of the pools (private too) so I can see their hashrates/connected miners/speak with them

Ok, thank you for your reply !

why are all against asics? I myself have 2 Baikal N… they are much more efficient

because the manufacturers mine with them first en masse - Centralisation
Then sell them 2nd hand - unethical
high price entry - more centralisation to larger farms

All the above are not healthy for the ecosystem of crypto in general.

Pls see Creating robust, secure, energy efficient and decentralized blockchain network

@Serena: But do you agree that some of DERO’s hashrate is from ASIC? Time to to change algo sooner or later following other cryptonote coins.

1 Like

Good for you @and1! Are you currently mining DERO in them?

@Serena, please provide citation here. What if those private pools are actually running ASICs? We all know that before ASICs were announced, DERO’s hashrate was very less and more than half of it was at official public pool http://pool.dero.live/

More and more you say about private pools, more and more this project feels like privately owned one. More public it is, more transparent it will be! As one of the early user, I wish that this project is publicly managed and all things are transparent which I’m not able to see now.

I agree with @Mik here. Hope the developer(s) do what is best for the community.

1 Like

@derox

There will always be private pool operators. They come to me to receive the same support that others require (updates/// information/// etc)

Thank you for the response @Serena. I appreciate your pro-activeness with the community. Is there any way for you to confirm that those private pool operators are not using ASIC to mine DERO? In all fairness with the current hashrate of 18.525 MH/s and price of DERO dropping everyday, small miners with CPU have no incentive to mine DERO. Without too many miners, it’ll lead to centralisation of hashpower and everyone knows what happens next.

So, if you can be as transparent as possible it will be great for the community since you seem to see what others are not able to comprehend.

Also will be great if you an please share any links/images which can show the distribution of hashpower.

1 Like

@Serena: But do you agree that some of DERO’s hashrate is from ASIC? Time to to change algo sooner or later following other cryptonote coins.

Also please let the community know the answer here. You seem to have missed this question.

P.S - Please don’t think that I’m only questioning here. I appreciate your time and developers time you have done so much to bring this project to life. It’s just that we’re sailing through some tough time.

1 Like

Yap, I support derox. In my case mining Dero is already reached electricity level, so I switched to Monero. Look also, what happen to IntenseCoin: https://intensecoin.com/2018/04/16/imminent-hard-fork-and-network-attack/ . Graft is also blocked by the ASICs attack. My feeling is that Bitmain went crazy to save its investments to ASICs development. First it announced MoneroClassic not understanding that Monero is very team-dependent. After the idea fails, Bitmain started to try getting control over all CryptoNight coins by 51% attacks.

Also please let the community know the answer here. You seem to have missed this question.

P.S - Please don’t think that I’m only questioning here. I appreciate your time and developers time you have done so much to bring this project to life. It’s just that we’re sailing through some tough time.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to miss your question. I can’t say for certain that there is not some hashing power on Dero’s network, however, we are still keeping a very close eye on things.

Please feel free to ask questions or express yourself here, we respect that.

I’ll work on getting some more information regarding the specific amount of hashing power on known pools. At this point, nicehash is getting cheap and we are monitoring that too (and why it’s cheap).

Hi Mik,

Dero’s development team have closed multiple vulnerabilities that were allowing for the recent attacks on many networks, not just CryptoNote networks.

Hey Dev Team,
I just decided to stop mining Dero:
With 23 KHs i earn 23 Dero… 28MHs network rate.
Sorry, im out of mining Dero as long as you fix this.
See u

2 Likes

@NoLimit

It is normal to follow your best interest.

Dero team are working on permanent solutions, more than just PoW change. I’m pretty sure the result will be worth the wait.

@Mojo
Thats the point:
Permanent solution can take time… long time… and asics already lead to Hs encrease and price drop.
In addition golang source code is still not public as i know.
Permanent solution is something like implamenting X16R Algo on new PoW… thats very hard to realise

At the time it makes no sense to mine dero because electricity is over dero price and there is no near solotion so far.

The dev team has stated that any change in algo or fork will not take much time at all. The issue here is that you are trying to mine a coin that is still in alpha version for short-term profit.

1 Like